Fedora Slow Updates on Mobile Internet but Software Development Still Good

Online Again … Different Wireless Carrier … Internet Still Slow ….

After a week without mobile Internet for my computer I am now connected again. I canceled one wireless carrier and switched to another. The switch was painful and I hesitated for a few days before making the final decision. Ultimately, my preference is to cut my losses and try something different. I did not put a lot of thought into the switch but just a little. The result of the switch is a slight improvement.

I prefer command-line initiated updates as they are far easier to control than waiting for some process in the background to give you all your updates. Fedora’s dnf utility for updating the system runs in to phases. General updates and kernel. You often benefit from both. As you can see, at times, I am getting closer to the ideal 1.5MB/s but still far off.

Frequent updates are better in some cases as you have less to download. I had to wait just over a week and the updates already piled up. The total in this instance is 375MB worth of updates. That is actually not a big deal when the Internet connection is fast such as the case at 1.5MB/s and higher. However, as the earlier depictions show, even this small set of updates will take quite a bit longer than usual.

The updates are going along well though with very uneven throughput. Again, this is a new wireless setup on a supposedly faster nationwide carrier in which I am right by the window and between at least 3 cell towers. Still experiencing a piercingly painfully slow rate of speed when it comes to download. It sucks and my only solace is it sucks less now than it did a week ago.

I know no one is asking, “what about the RSS program” I’ve been working on. Not a problem there because that program handles low-bandwidth exceptionally well. A slow Internet is not a necessary moment for testing the RSS program because it downloads text a fraction of the size of even 1 of the smallest of the 130 packages being downloaded in this update scenario. However, I did get a bit curious (let’s not waste crisis to learn something) and ran the program. Instead of downloading a single feed in less than a second under a high speed connection, it took 3 seconds when the bandwidth was very weak. Not an issue for me or anyone using the program due to the way the program is designed and handles information. Updates to github are likewise not an issue. Software development is unaffected. However, taking all day to do updates (okay, 30 minutes instead of 5), well that is woefully inconvenient and risky as that just delays getting useful security and functionality updates.

The previous screenshot is where I scrolled back to the top of the screen. The time in the middle was the current time compared to the time we are at waiting for the updates to finish. Pathetic right? Well, that is the way it goes sometimes. As we get near the end, you will see in the 3rd column (showing kB/s) highly uneven transfer rates. This does not affect software development, but extends the time spent in a high privileged update session that is a potential security issue due to the lingering updates. Anyway, by the time I finished writing this (I am not about to stare at slow updates for 30 – 45 minutes), we finally had the updates finished 31 minutes later.

Finally got updates and all it took was some patience. After 168 hours, the wait was worth it and the switch was good though not great. I lost a mobile phone I really liked but life goes on.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.